
Pictures of two beautiful blastocysts! She took some time to tell us about them. If you look closely (I know the pictures aren't great) you will sleep a clump gravitated off to one side. That is actually the "baby" and the rest will hopefully form into the placenta. Each blast is over 100 cells at this point. The second one is actually a little more developed than the first, but both were graded as "one" with very little fragmentation. Our sweet embryologist actually told us that she is very stingy with her grade one classification, so we are ecstatic with the outcome. She explained that nature had really taken over and demonstrated that these were the dominant blasts. We have three, maybe four that might be able to be frozen- we will know tomorrow. In the IVF world, Day 3 vs. Day 5 transfers are a source of great debate. In our case, Day 5 was truly the best choice. Where as seven of our little guys were all about equal on Day 3, they weren't all nearly as strong as these by Day 5.
Even with all of this good news, there is still no way to tell for certain if theses babies are genetically normal. If they aren't than they won't implant or will result in a loss. If they are normal, than they should nestle in and make my belly home for the next nine months. Dr. S gave us about a 60% chance of success given how good looking our blasts are. Much better than them 30% we were given we began IVF.
The transfer went really smooth and I am now in the hotel bed resting. Take a look at our ultrasound photo! Two little flashes of light right at the top of my uterus. Amazing.
Now we settle in for the long haul. The next few weeks will be full of anticipation as we wait to see if these little guys are going to stick around. Yes, there is a decent chance we could end up with twins, which scares the pants off me. However, I'm already attached and can't help but cheer both of them on. Remember a few years ago when scientists found some bacteria and all the headlines were reading "Scientists Find Life on Mars?" It amazes me that our society so willingly defines that as "life" but would be hesitate to describe those two little bursts of light in my uterus "alive." For now, we have two little miracles and we are so excited. Thank you for sharing our joy.
With great hope,
Juli


Those are some good looking embabies!!!! So excited for you Juli!
ReplyDeleteWe transferred 3 blasts and I felt the same way, that I was terrified of having triplets but couldn't bring myself to not pray that all 3 made it. They were ours, our little tiny miracles and after praying for so long for a baby, who was I to suddenly say, "Well God, three would be a lot to handle....". I did get a kick out telling people I was pregnant (until proven otherwise) with triplets for a little while though! ;)