The twins are still on a pretty strict schedule. I try to do outings when the babies are going to be awake, because Luke is prone to be very grumpy right before a nap and he doesn’t snooze as easily when we are out.
I always make sure the babies are clean, fed, and DRY before heading to store! I rarely change diapers when we are out. You would be shocked at the number of places that don't have changing centers in their bathrooms. If I am out with one of our parents than I can always can always change a diaper in the trunk of the car. However, unless there is poop- I save it for the familiarity of home! I usually pack my diaper bag during nap time and I like to go ahead and get my bag in the car first. One day I'll do a post to show you my diaper bag. (You'll laugh. It's such a disaster! )
One of the most tricky things in the beginning was figuring out how to unload the kids and get them into the stroller in the least dangerous way possible when we are out. I am very aware of the fact that I am incredibly vulnerable when I am out with the kiddos. Our safety is my number one priority, with my wallet and purse and coming in last place. You'll see more of what I mean in a minute!
First I turn off the car, go to the back and unload the stroller. I have a double snap and go and it is the best! Then we walk to the other side and unload the other kiddo. The trick to all this is to find a parking spot that has extra room on both sides but isn’t too far away from other shoppers.
I have a "Mommy Hook" and I couldn't live without it. I hook my diaper bag and keys to it every time I shop. It is awesome because it makes it less likely for my purse to get stolen, and I can find my keys quickly and easily in the parking lot.

I use a utility bag for shopping and it is lifesaver! My sister gave me one and it is amazing. I hook it onto my mommy hook and I am ready to roll! I put heavy items (sodas, cans, etc) in the bottom of the stroller. Everything else goes in the utility bag. When we check out I usually have the checker just repack the bag so I can carry it all out to my car. It also makes it much easier to carry the groceries into our house. Mine looks a lot like this one.
This is us in Target. We are a spectacle for sure! Thank heavens for Starbucks.
Getting loaded up after shopping is a bit trickier. First I open the trunk and load my packages. This is where I always have to be really careful because I worry about a car hitting my big bus of a stroller! I load the kids into the car just like I unloaded them...one side at a time. I always make sure my keys are on my wrist and I usually never start the car...no matter how hot it is. One of my greatest fears is someone stealing my car with my babies inside, so I would rather them just be hot for a few minutes. Once the stroller is loaded and the trunk closed we are on our way!! Whoo hoo!
I know what you might be thinking....YES IT IS A LOT OF WORK! My back is ruined ya'll. But it is so worth it to get out...for me and for them. Learning to function on my own was a necessary evil, and it really isn't all that different from people with two or three kids very young kids. It does take some planning and some practice. There are times that my purse isn't completely safe but I have accepted that as a risk. I don't carry cash. Stuff can be replaced so I focus on keeping us all safe in the parking lot. If someone wants my purse than they can have it.
The babies like to go shopping and so do I. The first few times I did this by myself was SO liberating. It made me finally feel like my life was going to become normal again (eventually).
My advice for twin mommas- just do it. Go shopping. The first few times will be a disaster. Go somewhere where you can get coffee first. But don't let anyone tell you that you can't handle it, or that it is too much. Once you get the hang of it, you will love getting out. (You get to show off your babies too!)
Love,
Juli


Miss Juli, checking in on your blog after much too long, and seeing that we have much to congratulate you on! Your sweet babies through the miracle of IVF, your Master's, getting a handle on motherhood with multiples - you are amazing! The girls are thrilled for you! Everyone is so excited that Miss Juli is a mommy! Congratulations!!!
ReplyDelete