We visited the perinatologist on Wednesday for the first time. He will follow us throughout the pregnancy, work with my regular ob/gyn, and closely watch me for signs of early labor. He was really nice and spent two hours doing a detailed ultrasound and talking with us about the risks of this pregnancy, but also the positive things too. Both babies are growing beautifully and neither has the marker for down syndrome (silent cheer!). No signs of placenta previa which is also a risk with twins. The doctor was also optimistic about my size. He noted that my small size could work at an advantage, given that I have less weight placing pressure on my cervix. We'll start measuring my cervix at my next appointment and any signs of thinning or shortening will give us early warning for me to go on bedrest to hopefully prevent these babies from trying to escape early. And I can't help it, but with all the talking (and with my body expanding!) I suddenly feel like I am a ticking time bomb. Hitting the twelve week mark was wonderful because it means that my chances of spontaneous miscarriage is significantly lowered. It also signifies the beginning of the countdown to twenty four weeks. Twenty four weeks the next marker of sorts- viability. The babies could survive outside my body if they needed to. It also marks the time at which my uterus will be measuring close to what it would with only one baby. This will add significant pressure as my body will start telling itself that it is time to go into labor. Meaning: we may start to see early signs of premature labor: increased blood pressure, contractions, and shortening and thinning of my cervix. Prescribed treatments usually include stopping work, home bedrest, and even medications that could put me in the hospital for weeks. So basically that means I may have as little as 10-12 weeks left to get everything settled before my body could need me to cut back on life and rest. I went to bed last night with a million thoughts running through my mind: “Dog food. Vet needs to pre-order me an extra flat so we have enough to carry us through the next six-nine months. Two cribs. Pre- measured Babies R Us ones and they will fit! Burlington ones are cheaper. Health insurance: where is that packet explaining my out of pocket deductible? Christmas gifts…I didn’t save any wrapping paper from last year. Need Highlights. Buy extra face wash and toothpaste for hospital bag. Freeze meals for before and after babies. Pre-order Christmas cards and update address book. Stamps. Why, oh why haven’t I picked up the day care applications yet? If I call and ask them to fax them will they judge me as uninvolved even though the babies aren’t even born yet? FMLA requires me to notify them thirty days before I take maternity leave- HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHEN TO DO THAT?”
I once heard a story about a man whose wife was stricken with cancer. Before she died, she left a twenty page typed manual for her husband titled “Your Family: How It Works.” In it she left detailed instructions for everything from how to bathe her youngest son to where to find pre-wrapped gifts for every family members birthday for the next two years. Her grieving widow remarked upon her death “you wouldn’t believe how much there is to remember!”
Yes, I would.Pregnancy Highlights
How Far Along: 14 Weeks
Size of Babies: Each are about the size of a lemon.
Gender: No idea! Last night I dreamed it was two girls.
Total Weight Gain/Loss: +4. I am been assured by my ob/gyn that I will gain at least fifty pounds. I reserve the right to quit posting my weight gain online at any time. :) Cravings: Though we dug into Sonic ice cream this week cause it sounded good!
Maternity Clothes: Yes. I actually thought I hadn't grown much till I tried to shimmy into a pair of shorts that I wore two weeks ago using the rubberband trick. I got in them, but it is officially over. I currently own about three things that I can wear comfortably!
Movement: Thought maybe....but not sure.
Sleep: Only if I take Unisom.
Symptoms: Nausea, food aversions, fatigue, headaches especially at night. Starting to notice my energy coming back though!
What I Miss: Nothing!
Best Moment this week: Ultrasound. I love peeking at these kids!
I'm looking forward to: Finding out.....boy/boy, boy/girl, or girl/girl?!?!?
Love,
Juli
No comments:
Post a Comment