Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Taking Chances...




Today was a big day for a bunch of kids close to my heart- Ms. Teeters kids started 2nd Grade. I actually went up to do some volunteering (okay, I'm selfish, I want Sarah to come play in Houston with me this weekend!) but it worked out great because I got to see some of the kids and their fabulous parents. As sad as I was, I am completely at peace with my decision, which just feels comforting considering that I am about to become essentially homeless and unemployed in a few days!

Tonight I headed over to Dell to cover the evening shift, only to discover that in my email inbox was a message from the coordinator at Texas Children's. She left a list of rotation opportunities, and asked me to email her on my thoughts about what units I would like to work in. I was torn to say the least. Considering that I have been looking forward to knowing what patient population I will be working with, I should have been more excited. For some reason I can't really explain, that email and the need for me to decide quickly just shook me to my core. Maybe because it just became real. After a couple of hours, and lots of professional advice from the people I worked with I made my decision. I placed the PICU, Oncology and Cardio Clinics,Day Surgery, and Pulmonary and Adolescent Medicine at the top of my list. I am hoping I can swing over to the Transplant Center and ER in my spare time. No matter what I am taking a chance. (See picture above!) And I am sure God will see me through it.

Bad news tonight on my sisters nephew Seth. Unfortunately, none of his immediate family members were identified as bone marrow matches. He will receive drug therapy for the time being, and it is likely that his doctors will begin searching the national bone registry for a match. PLEASE consider becoming a donor! Contact me at my hotmail account if you would like more information- there will most likely be bone marrow drives taking place in his name.


Many prayers,
Juli

No comments:

Post a Comment