Friday, August 29, 2008

Goodbye Austin!



One of my very favorite blogs is written by my old employer Catherine Mayer. For a summer, I was a nanny to her first born, Elliot. Last year, she wrote a “Love letter to Austin” as they packed their moving van and headed back to their home state of Colorado. Today, I do the same. While I won’t be moving far, I will still miss Austin, Texas!

Dear Austin,
My home away from home, will forever hold some of my most special memories. There are so many things I have enjoyed and loved since I moved here six years ago.

Here are some of my favorites:

-My four years as a Longhorn! I still get tickled when I think about this small town girl walking across that giant University for the first time as a bright eyed 18 year old!

-The special friends I have made most especially Sarah Isenhower, Mark and Shelly Tufts, Amy King, my Rowe Lane and Dell Children’s family, Molly Kelly and Wanda Leach, who eased my transition from college and encouraged me to forge ahead and follow my dreams.

-Standing on the Darryl K. Royal field for the first time, and cheering for my beloved Longhorn Football Team. The “Eyes of Texas” and all that burnt orange nearly took my breath away!

-My favorite Austin eateries: Chuy’s, Z Tejas, Shady Grove,Whole Foods, Hula Hut. and Mozarts!

-Happy hours at the Domain, after a week wrangling first graders!

-Friday night dinners led by Mark and Shelly Tufts. They always knew how to get a Friday night reservation downtown!

-Charity runs through Austin, that support everything from cancer to just “Keeping Austin Weird.” The local events truly make Austin a city like no other!

-Alamo Drafthouse

-Party Barges on Lake Austin, followed by early dinner at Carlos and Charlie’s or moonlight margaritas at the Oasis!

-Kayaking on Town Lake and early morning runs around the city. I ran my first half marathon in Austin and I will never forget the miles of Austin roads I logged while training!

-Swimming at beautiful Barton Creek Swimming pool.

-Gateway Community Church

-Walks through Zilker Park at Christmas time. The lights were just breath taking!

-All the special kiddos I have taught along the way and the families that touched my heart during my two year stint as a teacher, most especially the Ebert Family, the Giffords, the Harralsons, and Steve, Mary Beth and Spencer Sletten.

-The wonderful spirit of Austin, and fondness for the city that saw me go from girl to young woman! It’s spirit is like nowhere else!

I am so glad that I took that leap of faith and called you home for six years! While I forge ahead to a new adventure, I will keep the memories and friendships close to my heart.

Missing you all (already!)

Love,
Jules (and Zoe ☺)

1 comment: