Friday, January 9, 2015

Managing Life as a M.o.M: Packing For Travel

The first time we took Emily and Luke out of town I was so, so nervous.  They were so little, and when you are feeding little people every three hours it is really hard to go anywhere- much less leave town. Now that the twins have a fairly predictable schedule, we have started going places.  Every time it gets easier.  In August we went to Houston for my mom's birthday.  The twins were not really stable sitting up on their own yet which made it more difficult because they needed to get out of the carseats to stretch, yet needed to be held the entire time.  

When we went to Victoria in November (a 7-8 hour drive!!) I was shocked at how great they did.  We just got back from another Houston trip and now I really feel confident traveling with them!  So this is how I pack us up!

The week of our trip I start tossing things (as I think of them) into the guest room. I lot of things I just pull straight from the laundry so I am sure it is going to be clean for the trip. The room gets ridiculously sloppy and that is okay.  Because once I get ready to get organized it all there and I am not hunting for things.


Obviously, this time I had Christmas packages too.  I don't do bows, and I don't do gift bags.  Wrapped boxes pack a thousand times easier for a trip.






I don't get serious packing until the day before our trip.  I start with the babies clothing.  They get their own suitcase and I actually like to put entire outfits in Ziplocks.  (Say it with me..."OCD"!)  So pants, tops, tights, socks, shoes, and a matching bow for Emily goes down in the Ziplock.  It really, really helps to have everything packaged together.


I use the suitcase to pack the things we need once we get to our destination.  My goal is always to make sure we have whatever we need to keep Emily and Luke's routines in place as much as possible.  I have a portable IPod player so I can play the same white noise they are use to.  Diapers, wipes, jammies, clothing, etc go into the suitcase.


Then I pack our utility bag.  It goes on the floor board in the backseat and has the things I need to be able to reach during the trip.  I have some toys that I only let the kids play with in car, burp cloths, formula, bottles, movies, high chair covers, wet wipes, snacks etc.  


 The all important medicine bag.  We go nowhere without Tylenol, Motrin, Benedryl, Fleet Enemas, teething tablets etc.


These are my secret weapon.  My parents bought them for us and I had no idea we needed them so badly.  Baby Einstein is a lifesaver.  I put it on repeat and we drive. They are happy, I am happy and we can drive for several hours at time without a peep. I don't keep them in my car on a normal basis- they are only for trips so they are novel when we  pull em out! 
 Okay...almost done packing!  I do take my diaper bag like usual.  I use it for when we stop, so it is packed with diapers and wipes, snacks, wet wipes, etc. Whoo.  That's a lot of stuff!


 I should have taken a picture of the car...can you say jammed?  It may seem like this isn't a lot but we also had to pack their high chairs and all of our stuff too. We can make it work, but it is tight!  Thankfully the kids are good natured...and every time it gets a little easier.

Love, 
Juli

No comments:

Post a Comment