Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pregnancy Update: Twenty-Four Weeks

I spent last weekend in Austin, Texas celebrating my friend Sarah as she prepares to get hitched this January.  It was a great weekend away and I am so excited for her.  She is marrying a really sweet guy.  We had a great girly weekend together and I have missed hanging out with her.  Michael was so sweet and drove me and then spent some time with a friend while I was with the girls.  I protested about him coming, but I really ended up appreciating it since I am growing more uncomfortable by the day and not driving meant I could stretch out in the backseat.
  
 
 We had an ultrasound and check up last Thursday, and for the most part everything looked great. According to my doctor, my cervix couldn’t look better for someone expecting twins. (I so proud...Ha!) Both babies were moving around like crazy (Thank you Green Mountain Gingerbread coffee) so the ultrasound tech was able to get a good look at them both. They are positioned just like this, except that Baby A (Girl) is actually on my right side, not the left.


They did not measure their size but they did check amniotic fluid and our ultrasound tech is always so sweet and patient.  She quickly scanned over their other parts just to reassure me that everything seemed normal. We did discover what my doctor thinks might be a chorioangioma on Baby A’s placenta. DON'T GOOGLE IT.  I left Dr. G’s office feeling fine and ended up in tears by the afternoon. Essentially, a chorioangioma is an incredibly rare, non malignant tumor. Mine is vascular, which means that our Baby girl is having to pump blood through it, as well as her own little body. When they grow larger than 5 cm. then they can cause problems.  Dr. Geneux has continued to emphasize that mine is small, and even spent some time talking to me on the phone today just to give me some extra reassurance.  We will continue to watch it closely to make sure it doesn't cause any problems.

How Far Along: 24 Weeks 

Size of Babies: Each are about the size of a cantaloupe.

Gender: Boy/Girl

Total Weight Gain/Loss: +21

Cravings: Apples are still surprisingly appealing.  I have apple hand soap in the kitchen and had apples dipped in caramel sauce last week....YUM!

Maternity Clothes: I am in an awkward place.  Yes to maternity clothes but I am fearing that I am going to grow out of those soon!! I bought a pair of yoga pants the other day in the next size up.  They don't fit well yet...but soon they will.  I have committed to not purchasing anything else until I need it since I am pretty sure what fits great now won't fit in a few weeks.

Movement: Yes!  Most especially at night and in the early morning.  Baby boy is a morning kicker...baby girl owns the evenings.

Sleep: Awful.  I toss and turn because my ribs ache on the right side.  Luckily my doctor gave me a pain prescription that knocks me out, and permission to use it without guilt.

Symptoms: Back pain and I am still so thirsty. My hair is falling out like crazy but my thyroid is normal so it is just hormones. Water or juice is the first thing I need in the mornings!

What I Miss: Being able to sneeze without unmentionable things happening! 

Best Moment this week: Getting to 24 weeks.  Everyday from here on out makes a huge difference.  I know exactly what the difference between a 24 week baby and 25 week baby looks like in the NICU....so every day is a celebration now.  I got tickled by how many of you texted and called on Tuesday morning to rejoice this milestone with me.

I'm looking forward to:  Picking names.  People keep asking but we just haven't decided yet.  I don't want to feel pressured so we might not decide until they are here.  But I have done a lot of dreaming about them both lately, and I always call them by name in my dreams.  Maybe those are the names that are meant to stick!

Love,
Juli

No comments:

Post a Comment