
I am a refugee- Where's the check from FEMA?
Well, I survived Ike. It actually wasn't too bad, except that like most people in Houston, I am without power. Luckily I still have water. As if some cruel joke, the lights actually flickered and turned on Saturday night, however, it was short lived. I haven't seen any centerpoint trucks in the area either, which is not a good sign. I am bummed, but I have loads of faith in those energy guys. They will be back soon, in their handsome whiter coveralls, and never will air conditioning, lightbulbs, and washing machines seem so miraculous. (Hey, flattery never hurts.)
I am back at work tomorrow and the hours will be long, but I don't mind. I am actually in the lobby right now typing, since the Medical center has power back. It is surprisingly calm and pleasant down here. We are still operating on minimal staff, so it much slower paced than usual. I like it. Even better, a crisp autumn cold front has blown the Houston (there is a God!) and the air is so crisp that I am practically drinking in the taste of fall. I love the change of seasons. Anytime there is a major shift in temperature, memories just wash over me. It is kind of like hearing an old song you used to love, and how you can specifically remember what was going on in your life during the time that it was so popular. In particular, this cold front reminds me of those first weeks as a freshman at UT, I think because I feel pretty much the same now as I did then. Completely lost in a new city, dazed and confused, and loving and hating everything about it, all at the same time.
Much love,
Juli
No comments:
Post a Comment