Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly...

Hey everybody! This blog has been such a blessing- particularly since my last post. I can't tell you how thrilled I was to hear from so many of you guys, (particularly you Houston people who are going to help me out with my move.) One of my sweetest friends Amy (a volunteer at Dell Children's) actually has a friend that is interested in child life and currently volunteering at Texas Children's Hospital in Houston. We have been chatting via email, and she has been asking questions about child life. Lots of you have asked what my job entails and I found that I actually explained it pretty well in an email I sent tonight. Below is an excerpt:

"It seems that the day to day schedule varies a lot from hospital to hospital and unit to unit. For example, your day and priorities will be very different as a child life specialist in an intensive care unit, vs. day surgery or the emergency room. I also consider that a perk- that you get to find the best fit for you, and that it is relatively easy to switch units, if at some point in your career you decide you would like a change of pace. I LOVE the fact that every morning, I will be able to sit down, look at my census, and decide where my priorities are, and how they fit into the day. (Of course, the downside is that there is rarely enough time work with everyone the way you wish.) A typical day will include greeting new admits and introducing services, preparing children for procedures and surgeries, as well as supporting them and their parents as events transcribe through the day. Specialists also advocate (a lot!) for the kids, particularly regarding developmentally appropriate practices. Nurses and doctors often need direction- ESPECIALLY when discussing sensitive topics with young children. You will become a child development EXPERT by the time you are done (if you aren’t already!:)) Child life specialist dabble in a lot of social work activities as well- for instance helping families get connected with programs and services to accomodate special needs (i.e. Make a wish, Home Health, Hospice, Homebound etc.) Group and individual therapeutic art activities are also led by specialists. We do activities that encourage kids to become familiar with medical equipment, express anger, help with food intake issues, pill swallowing, and other issues unique to the hospitalized child. Child life also works with families and siblings experiencing a death, and in some cases with children facing terminal diagnoses.

I think the best part of the job is the people you meet, and just how I feel when I am at the hospital. You meet some amazing kids and families, who will simply astound you with their strength and kindness. I SEE MIRACLES EVERYDAY!

The worst part is, of course, is when the miracles don’t happen in the way everyone is praying for. A parent’s grief is hard to witness- and there is no rhyme or reason as to why one family walks out of the hospital with their child, and another does not. The job really causes you to face mortality- and that none of us know how long we have with the ones we love. You have to be able to stay emotionally removed enough so that you can do your job and say the words that families need to hear, although they may not really resonate with them at the time. And, you have to assure that YOU can bounce back- otherwise you will burn out."


Speaking of the worst part, we have recently had some of that at Dell. One of our sweetest "frequent flyers" died this week. Today, taped on the playroom door was this:

"THERE ONCE WAS A WOMAN WHO WOKE UP ONE MORNING, looked in the mirror,
and noticed she had only three hairs on her head. Well," she said, "I think
I'll braid my hair today" So she did and she had a wonderful day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and saw that she had only
Two hairs on her head. "H-M-M," she said, "I think I'll part my hair down
The middle today" So she did and she had a grand day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that she had
Only one hair on her head. "Well," she said, "today I'm going to wear my
Hair In a pony tail." So she did and she had a fun, fun day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that there
wasn't a single hair on her head. "YEA!" she exclaimed, "I don't have to fix
my hair today!"

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly....... LEAVE THE REST TO GOD.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet Juli! What a beautiful post! We nee dto all get together soon for lunch or dinner! :)

    ReplyDelete